Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Deception Pass Dash

This years Deception Pass Dash this winter I took the photos from another post Thank you Inge Watson, great photos. The temperature was just below freezing but once we got going it was fine.

I raced in my little 14' Coyote sit on top and averaged 5 miles per hour! Which was at the top 40% of the Sea Kayaks which should be faster because they are longer!

Brandon Nelson is an animal and averaged 6 MPH on an illusion kayak made by Sterling. The range of speeds for the Sea Kayaks was 6 MPH to 4 MPH and I was ahead of the average of about 4.6 MPH with 5 MPH

The SUPs were slower than me but not by much. Their shirts read " If it were any easier they would call it kayaking" Beau won that class with a short 12' board. The fins and rudders had to go around the kelp.

The lay down paddleboarders were faster than me which surprised me.

There was one rower that luckily didn't win. There is a rivalry with paddlers and rowers

I think this is Greg Barton who finished first and put the rower in second place. If the water is calm the rowers have a chance but if it is rough the paddlers have the advantage. I think he was closer to 8 MPH with the total race boat. Wow.


No comments: